See all reviews
5-HTP is also available in capsules.
5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) Defined
5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is a naturally occurring amino acid and precursor to serotonin, a principle neurotransmitter involved in enhancing mood. It is also a metabolic intermediate in the biosysnthesis of melatonin from L-Tryptophan.  5-HTP is found in the seeds of the Griffonia simplicifolia herb, a climbing shrub native to Central and West Africa.  5-HTP has pronounced effects because it crosses the blood barrier with ease. 
5 HTP Benefits
While 5-HTP and L-Tryptophan are both precursors to serotonin, L-Tryptophan is sometimes converted into niacin â€” whereas 5-HTP is capable of converting only to serotonin â€” which makes it a good supplement choice for enhancing mood. A study found that when combined with Carbidopa, 200mg of 5-HTP improved mood in 43.4% of subjects. 
Appetite suppression is another benefit of 5-HTP supplementation and along with diet and exercise can help in maintaining a healthy body composition.
One study found a 38% reduction in calories compared to the placebo.  Another study found that 2 weeks of 5-HTP supplementation decreased the amount of carbohydrates consumed, with 75% of calories reduced coming from carbohydrate reduction  .
When combined with GABA, 5-HTP can reduce the amount of time needed to fall asleep. 5-HTP increases serotonin levels, which in turn increases melatonin levels since melatonin is a metabolic product of serotonin. Melatonin is responsible for regulating the sleep cycle, so by this mechanism 5-HTP promotes sleep. 
5 HTP Dosage
The recommended dosage is 100mg twice daily.
After taking 100 to 200mgs of 5 htp. I sleep astoundingly better. I used to wake 3 to 5 times a night and have a hard time falling back to sleep. Now I wake up once, or twice a night but I fall back asleep quickly. I remember my dreams now too! I feel much much better now. - Tom G
This site is top notch. The product is great, I definitely feel a mood boost after taking it a few days in a row. I like to take it at night, since it does make you a bit sleepy. I will go a few days off of it and still be pretty good. Great stuff, great site. I will most definitely order from them again. - Viv
Additional Resources5-HTP Examine Page
Why was my review rejected or removed?
If your review does not conform to these guidelines, it may be rejected or removed. All reviews are held in moderation for eight (8) days prior to publishing to ensure these guidelines are met.
We are unable to accept the following reviews:
Reviews that do not pertain to the product
- Shipping and Packaging – Comments about your shipping experience or the product packaging is not a product review and should be addressed at http://help.powdercity.com/.
- Product Availability – Commentary about product availability is not a product review. If you have questions or concerns about product availability, contact us at http://help.powdercity.com/product/restock.html.
Reviews regarding misuse of products
- Dosage recommendations – If you are reporting issues related to taking a product and dosage recommendations were not followed, this does not qualify as a valid review of the product. Please go to http://help.powdercity.com and report it to Powder City support so that they can address the issue directly.
Reviews that contain inappropriate or offensive content
- Inappropriate Content – Reviews may not contain obscenities, profanity, phone numbers, mailing addresses, non-Powder City URLs, foreign language content (unless there is a clear connection to the product), or other people’s material (including excessive quoting).
- Hate Speech and Offensive Content – We don't allow reviews that express intolerance for people based on their race, gender, religion, sexual preference, or nationality. Customers are allowed to comment or post questions about products as long as it is in a non-threatening manner.
- Promotion of Illegal Conduct – Reviews may not encourage or support behavior that is illegal, including violence, illegal drug use (including combining products with legal prescriptions), underage drinking, and child or animal abuse.
- Medical Conditions – Reviews may not indicate supplements can diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Prescription Drugs – Reviews cannot discuss prescription drug use.
*Statements found within have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult with your physician before taking if you are pregnant, nursing, have any cardiovascular or other medical issues, or anticipate surgery. Keep out of the reach of children.
Scientific studies cited are not conclusive and have limitations, due to of their closed environment nature. Referenced studies will not necessarily determine your experience with a supplement or nootropic, since there are many unaccounted variables, which fall outside the scope of the studies.
The reviews contained within are the opinions of contributors and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Powder City. These reviews should not be taken as fact or recommendation, and are only opinions of products that the contributors may have or may have not used. Powder City makes no warranty, implied or expressed, to the accuracy of information provided by these reviews.