Warning: Use caution when taking regularly and follow the recommended Phenibut dosage.
Synonyms: Fenibut, Phenybut, Beta-Phenyl-GABA
Phenibut HCL capsules are also available.
Do you prefer tubs? 100g Phenibut Tub
What is Phenibut?
Phenibut is a GABA derivative that can exist as a free amino acid (FAA) or as a salt (HCL). Phenibut HCL is the salt variety, which is why it is crystalline in texture. There are a few key differences between Phenibut FAA and Phenibut HCL.
Phenibut HCL vs. Phenibut FAA
Individuals can take Phenibut FAA sublingually as it is much more powdery than the HCL form. However, it is much more expensive and is not conducive for regular supplementation. Due to its powdery texture, it is difficult to dissolve in a beverage or put in capsules. You are essentially limited to sublingual or oral supplementation.
Individuals cannot take Phenibut HCL sublingually; however, it is easy to dissolve or put in capsules. It is also more cost effective than Phenibut FAA. Phenibut HCL has a less pleasant taste than Phenibut FAA, but, since you can buy Phenibut HCL in capsule form, this is a non-issue.
Phenibut HCL: How Does It Work?
Unlike GABA, Phenibut HCL can cross the blood-brain barrier (BBB) with ease.  This is due to the addition of a phenyl ring to its basic structure.  Individuals take Phenibut HCL for its anxiolytic and nootropic properties. [1,2] It is a GABAB receptor agonist which means it could have mood-boosting benefits as well. 
The primary reason individuals take Phenibut is for its anxiolytic benefits. However, Phenibut can provide a number of other benefits. Aside from its potential as a nootropic, Phenibut can also boost mood and improve sleep.
Phenibut Powder as an Anxiolytic
Phenibut is able to reduce stress and fear.  In one cat study, Phenibut was able to eliminate fear in anxious and passive subjects.  It also improved the emotional state of non-fearful subjects.  Phenibut is also able to reduce stress without impairing cognition.  Because of this, Russian cosmonauts often used Phenibut. Phenibut allowed them to work in less than ideal conditions without succumbing to the effects of stress. 
Phenibut as a Nootropic
There is some debate as to whether Phenibut is a true nootropic. However, there is some evidence of its ability to enhance cognition. In passive avoidance tasks, Phenibut showed improved learning and memory.  It also enhanced the performance of mice during swimming and rotating rod tests.  While more research is needed, these preliminary findings are promising.
Phenibut Powder and Mood
During a forced swim test, Phenibut significantly reduced immobility time.  Scientists use forced swim tests to measure activity related to improved mood.  The test measures the animal’s susceptibility to negative moods and compares how their mood changes while taking supplements such as Phenibut. In this study, Phenibut reduced the amount of time the rodents remained immobile. Immobility in forced swim tests indicates hopelessness.  This means Phenibut improved the rodents’ mood.
Other Reasons to Buy Phenibut
In some rodent studies, Phenibut conferred analgesic benefits. [1,3] While this benefit needs more research, Phenibut may be able to provide pain relief. Phenibut provides sleep benefits as well. One study suggests this is because Phenibut may activate dopaminergic processes which cause sedation. 
Phenibut Side effects
Individuals should not take Phenibut on a daily basis. Tolerance develops rapidly with repeated use.  When taken in excessive frequency, Phenibut can cause withdrawal symptoms upon cessation of use.  To avoid this, follow proper dosing instructions. Individuals taking MAOIs should not take Phenibut.  Do not take Phenibut with alcohol. 
Individuals should start with 250mg of Phenibut. Some individuals use larger doses, but you should never exceed 1.5g. Individuals should cycle Phenibut to avoid tolerance and withdrawal symptoms.
- GABAb Receptor Pharmacology: A Tribute to Norman Bowery: A Tribute to Norman Bowery. Academic Press. 21 September 2010. pp. 25–.
- Lapin, Slava. From the Inside. Luniver Press. 2009.
- David W. Group (25 February 2015). Encyclopedia of Mind Enhancing Foods, Drugs and Nutritional Substances, 2d ed. McFarland. pp. 186–.
Additional ResourcesPhenibut Wiki
Why was my review rejected or removed?
If your review does not conform to these guidelines, it may be rejected or removed. All reviews are held in moderation for eight (8) days prior to publishing to ensure these guidelines are met.
We are unable to accept the following reviews:
Reviews that do not pertain to the product
- Shipping and Packaging – Comments about your shipping experience or the product packaging is not a product review and should be addressed at http://help.powdercity.com/.
- Product Availability – Commentary about product availability is not a product review. If you have questions or concerns about product availability, contact us at http://help.powdercity.com/product/restock.html.
Reviews regarding misuse of products
- Dosage recommendations – If you are reporting issues related to taking a product and dosage recommendations were not followed, this does not qualify as a valid review of the product. Please go to http://help.powdercity.com and report it to Powder City support so that they can address the issue directly.
Reviews that contain inappropriate or offensive content
- Inappropriate Content – Reviews may not contain obscenities, profanity, phone numbers, mailing addresses, non-Powder City URLs, foreign language content (unless there is a clear connection to the product), or other people’s material (including excessive quoting).
- Hate Speech and Offensive Content – We don't allow reviews that express intolerance for people based on their race, gender, religion, sexual preference, or nationality. Customers are allowed to comment or post questions about products as long as it is in a non-threatening manner.
- Promotion of Illegal Conduct – Reviews may not encourage or support behavior that is illegal, including violence, illegal drug use (including combining products with legal prescriptions), underage drinking, and child or animal abuse.
- Medical Conditions – Reviews may not indicate supplements can diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
This product is not considered a dietary supplement and as such should only be taken under the guidance of a doctor or in a research setting.
Statements found within have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Always consult a physician if you are unsure about taking a new supplement or nootropic. Do not take this product if you are under 18, if you are pregnant, nursing, or have any cardiovascular issues.
Scientific studies cited are not conclusive and have limitations, due to of their closed environment nature. Referenced studies will not necessarily determine your experience with a supplement or nootropic, since there are many unaccounted variables, which fall outside the scope of the studies.
The reviews contained within are the opinions of contributors and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Powder City. These reviews should not be taken as fact or recommendation, and are only opinions of products that the contributors may have or may have not used. Powder City makes no warranty, implied or expressed, to the accuracy of information provided by these reviews.