See all reviews
What is Sarcosine?
Sarcosine is a byproduct of glycine that can boost mood and improve memory. It is chemically similar to glycine as well as D-serine, but is much more bioavailable than the latter. Sarcosine works by blocking GlyT1, a transporter that increases glycine and D-serine uptake into cells. This means there is more of both of these amino acids in the body to enhance their nootropic benefits.
Sarcosine Side Effects and Benefits
In both rodent and human studies, sarcosine has shown to provide cognitive benefits in healthy and young participants. This effect is supplementary to its main glycine and D-serine boosting activities [1, 2, 3]. Similar to D-serine, sarcosine can also improve social memory performance and motor skills [4, 5].
While more research is needed, preliminary evidence indicates sarcosine can elevate mood. This is unsurprising, as D-serine has also been noted as a mood boosting agent [6, 7].Â WhenÂ combined with D-Aspartic Acid, sarcosine has a synergizing effect that can further enhance its mood boostingÂ effectsÂ as well as provide a boost in testosterone.
While sarcosine itself does not pose many risks, there has been a noted correlation between naturally high levels of sarcosine and damaged prostate cells. This has nothing to do with supplementation and is not caused by taking sarcosine; itÂ is merely a useful biomarker .Â
Individuals should take 1.5-3g of sarcosine per day. When first starting a nootropic regimen, be sure to take the smallest effective dose to determine how the supplement affects you. Sarcosine is water soluble, so it is best taken on an empty stomach. Unlike many nootropics which are frequently bitter, sarcosine is sweet in taste.
CAS Number: 107-97-1
Why was my review rejected or removed?
If your review does not conform to these guidelines, it may be rejected or removed. All reviews are held in moderation for eight (8) days prior to publishing to ensure these guidelines are met.
We are unable to accept the following reviews:
Reviews that do not pertain to the product
- Shipping and Packaging – Comments about your shipping experience or the product packaging is not a product review and should be addressed at http://help.powdercity.com/.
- Product Availability – Commentary about product availability is not a product review. If you have questions or concerns about product availability, contact us at http://help.powdercity.com/product/restock.html.
Reviews regarding misuse of products
- Dosage recommendations – If you are reporting issues related to taking a product and dosage recommendations were not followed, this does not qualify as a valid review of the product. Please go to http://help.powdercity.com and report it to Powder City support so that they can address the issue directly.
Reviews that contain inappropriate or offensive content
- Inappropriate Content – Reviews may not contain obscenities, profanity, phone numbers, mailing addresses, non-Powder City URLs, foreign language content (unless there is a clear connection to the product), or other people’s material (including excessive quoting).
- Hate Speech and Offensive Content – We don't allow reviews that express intolerance for people based on their race, gender, religion, sexual preference, or nationality. Customers are allowed to comment or post questions about products as long as it is in a non-threatening manner.
- Promotion of Illegal Conduct – Reviews may not encourage or support behavior that is illegal, including violence, illegal drug use (including combining products with legal prescriptions), underage drinking, and child or animal abuse.
- Medical Conditions – Reviews may not indicate supplements can diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Prescription Drugs – Reviews cannot discuss prescription drug use.
*Statements found within have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult with your physician before taking if you are pregnant, nursing, have any cardiovascular or other medical issues, or anticipate surgery. Keep out of the reach of children.
Scientific studies cited are not conclusive and have limitations, due to of their closed environment nature. Referenced studies will not necessarily determine your experience with a supplement or nootropic, since there are many unaccounted variables, which fall outside the scope of the studies.
The reviews contained within are the opinions of contributors and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Powder City. These reviews should not be taken as fact or recommendation, and are only opinions of products that the contributors may have or may have not used. Powder City makes no warranty, implied or expressed, to the accuracy of information provided by these reviews.