See all reviews
What is Rutaecarpine (Evodia Rutaecarpa)?
Rutaecarpine is a compound isolated from the berries produced by Tetradium ruticarpum (also sometimes referred to as Evodia rutaecarpa) which is a tree found in China and Korea. It has a long history of usage in traditional Chinese remedies.
This compound has one very unusual function: it counteracts caffeine. [1,2]
Rutaecarpine: The Anti-Caffeine Substance
Caffeine is a necessity for many individuals. It comes in many shapes and forms, being present in coffee, tea, energy drinks, pre-workout mixes, capsules, and so on. While there is nothing wrong with caffeine for most of us â€“ it does what it is supposed to do and it does it very well â€“ it can be a problem when you want to get some sleep or relaxation after a long day. By supplementing with Rutaecarpine, your body will be much better at eliminating caffeine. This means you can consume caffeine later in the day without disrupting your sleep. For example, when supplementing with Rutaecarpine you can use a pre-workout that contains caffeine during late-afternoon workouts or drink coffee later in the day if you need an energy boost. Caffeine has a half-life that can last up to 7 hours  which can inhibit your ability to rest. Rutaecarpine helps to reduce this, by increasing the breakdown of caffeine within the body. It also comes in handy for those taking caffeine pills as it makes the duration much more controllable, reducing the need for strict dosing schedules.
Other Evodia Rutaecarpa Benefits
The main function of Rutaecarpine is reducing the unwanted effects of caffeine, but thatâ€™s not all Rutaecarpine has to offer. It also acts as a novelty anti-inflammatory.  It does this by inhibiting COX-2 (cyclooxygenase-2), the enzyme responsible for inflammation. 
The above benefits make Rutaecarpine an even better choice for including in a pre-workout mix. Dose caffeine first, then after the caffeine starts working take a dose of Rutaecarpine so that the caffeine is eliminated after your workout â€“ all while reaping the additional benefits.
Rutaecarpine Side Effects
Rutaecarpine increases the workings of the CYP1A2, CYP2B, and CYP2E1 enzymes. [7,8] This is also the mechanism that allows Rutaecarpine to eliminate caffeine so rapidly. If you take other substances that are metabolized by these enzymes Rutaecarpine will heavily decrease their half-lives.
If you are not sure if any compound you are taking is metabolized by one of these enzymes, please consult a health care professional.
No other serious side effects are known.
Evodia Rutaecarpa Dosage
Take up to 100mg twice a day on an as-needed basis for caffeine elimination or other health benefits.
To get an extra anti-caffeine boost Rutaecarpine can be stacked with L-Theanine. L-Theanine is also great on its own, especially when combined with caffeine.
CAS Number: 84-26-4
Synonyms: Rutecarpine, Rutacarpine, Rhetine
Why was my review rejected or removed?
If your review does not conform to these guidelines, it may be rejected or removed. All reviews are held in moderation for eight (8) days prior to publishing to ensure these guidelines are met.
We are unable to accept the following reviews:
Reviews that do not pertain to the product
- Shipping and Packaging – Comments about your shipping experience or the product packaging is not a product review and should be addressed at http://help.powdercity.com/.
- Product Availability – Commentary about product availability is not a product review. If you have questions or concerns about product availability, contact us at http://help.powdercity.com/product/restock.html.
Reviews regarding misuse of products
- Dosage recommendations – If you are reporting issues related to taking a product and dosage recommendations were not followed, this does not qualify as a valid review of the product. Please go to http://help.powdercity.com and report it to Powder City support so that they can address the issue directly.
Reviews that contain inappropriate or offensive content
- Inappropriate Content – Reviews may not contain obscenities, profanity, phone numbers, mailing addresses, non-Powder City URLs, foreign language content (unless there is a clear connection to the product), or other people’s material (including excessive quoting).
- Hate Speech and Offensive Content – We don't allow reviews that express intolerance for people based on their race, gender, religion, sexual preference, or nationality. Customers are allowed to comment or post questions about products as long as it is in a non-threatening manner.
- Promotion of Illegal Conduct – Reviews may not encourage or support behavior that is illegal, including violence, illegal drug use (including combining products with legal prescriptions), underage drinking, and child or animal abuse.
- Medical Conditions – Reviews may not indicate supplements can diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Prescription Drugs – Reviews cannot discuss prescription drug use.
*Statements found within have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult with your physician before taking if you are pregnant, nursing, have any cardiovascular or other medical issues, or anticipate surgery. Keep out of the reach of children.
Scientific studies cited are not conclusive and have limitations, due to of their closed environment nature. Referenced studies will not necessarily determine your experience with a supplement or nootropic, since there are many unaccounted variables, which fall outside the scope of the studies.
The reviews contained within are the opinions of contributors and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Powder City. These reviews should not be taken as fact or recommendation, and are only opinions of products that the contributors may have or may have not used. Powder City makes no warranty, implied or expressed, to the accuracy of information provided by these reviews.