See all reviews
WARNING: Extremely potent and spicy. Keep away from eyes.
What Is Piperine?
Piperine is the main active component found in black pepper.
Piperine can be used in conjunction with various other supplements to enhance their potency by increasing bioavailability. The most apt example of this synergy is taking piperine while supplementing with curcumin. Curcumin has a very poor bioavailability because it is rapidly metabolized in the liver and intestinal wall. Piperine can slow both gastric emptying and intestinal transit, meaning that curcumin has a longer period of time to be exposed to potential uptake. One study found that piperine supplementation increased the bioavailability of curcumin by 2000%.  Another study found that piperine supplementation also improved the bioavailability of resveratrol.* 
Piperine inhibits the drug transporter P-glycoprotein as well as the major drug-metabolizing enzyme CYP3A4.  This is important because many drugs are substrates of these enzymes, meaning that these enzymes break down many drugs; when these enzymes are inhibited they are unable to do so and so the drugs last longer and are able to be absorbed more by the body.*
It is recommended to start at a low dose of 5-10mg daily and see how your body reacts before increasing dosage.
Synonyms: Piper Nigrum, Black Pepper Extract
Why was my review rejected or removed?
If your review does not conform to these guidelines, it may be rejected or removed. All reviews are held in moderation for eight (8) days prior to publishing to ensure these guidelines are met.
We are unable to accept the following reviews:
Reviews that do not pertain to the product
- Shipping and Packaging – Comments about your shipping experience or the product packaging is not a product review and should be addressed at http://help.powdercity.com/.
- Product Availability – Commentary about product availability is not a product review. If you have questions or concerns about product availability, contact us at http://help.powdercity.com/product/restock.html.
Reviews regarding misuse of products
- Dosage recommendations – If you are reporting issues related to taking a product and dosage recommendations were not followed, this does not qualify as a valid review of the product. Please go to http://help.powdercity.com and report it to Powder City support so that they can address the issue directly.
Reviews that contain inappropriate or offensive content
- Inappropriate Content – Reviews may not contain obscenities, profanity, phone numbers, mailing addresses, non-Powder City URLs, foreign language content (unless there is a clear connection to the product), or other people’s material (including excessive quoting).
- Hate Speech and Offensive Content – We don't allow reviews that express intolerance for people based on their race, gender, religion, sexual preference, or nationality. Customers are allowed to comment or post questions about products as long as it is in a non-threatening manner.
- Promotion of Illegal Conduct – Reviews may not encourage or support behavior that is illegal, including violence, illegal drug use (including combining products with legal prescriptions), underage drinking, and child or animal abuse.
- Medical Conditions – Reviews may not indicate supplements can diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Prescription Drugs – Reviews cannot discuss prescription drug use.
*Statements found within have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult with your physician before taking if you are pregnant, nursing, have any cardiovascular or other medical issues, or anticipate surgery. Keep out of the reach of children.
Scientific studies cited are not conclusive and have limitations, due to of their closed environment nature. Referenced studies will not necessarily determine your experience with a supplement or nootropic, since there are many unaccounted variables, which fall outside the scope of the studies.
The reviews contained within are the opinions of contributors and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Powder City. These reviews should not be taken as fact or recommendation, and are only opinions of products that the contributors may have or may have not used. Powder City makes no warranty, implied or expressed, to the accuracy of information provided by these reviews.