See all reviews
About Caffeine and Theanine Capsules
- Provides the energy boost of Caffeine without the jitters
- Theanine promotes relaxation and memory
- Caffeine supplements energy levels, exercise and concentration
- Tested for dosage and purity
What is Caffeine?
Caffeine is a potent stimulant obtained from coffee beans or manufactured in a lab. It is the most widely consumed stimulant in the world .
While its primary use is for its wakefulness benefits, caffeine has additional benefits including supplementing endurance, aiding in body composition, and use as a nootropic.*
Caffeine and Endurance
Caffeine is able to benefit endurance in both anaerobic and aerobic exercises. Its anti-fatigue benefits aid in delaying the onset of muscle fatigue during anaerobic workouts, allowing you to work longer . It is also able to supplement endurance performance during aerobic workouts, meaning it lengthens an individualâ€™s time to exhaustion .*
Caffeine and Body Composition
Caffeine can reliably support a healthy metabolic rate, which in turn helps to burn more calories. In one study, all participants were able to lose weight when they combined caffeine with a low-calorie diet .* However, caffeine tolerance develops quickly, so it is suggested to use caffeine intermittently for maximum results.
Caffeine as a Nootropic
What is L-Theanine?
L-Theanine is an amino acid found in most teas used for relaxation without sedation. Its structure is similar to that of glutamate, a neurotransmitter. It has been studied for its ability to benefit cognition, learning, memory, and boost mood [6,7].*
Theanineâ€™s main benefit is its ability to induce relaxation. That being said, it also provides mood boosting and nootropic benefits.*
Theanine and Relaxation
Both neural measurements and self-reported assessments attest to l-theanineâ€™s efficacy as a relaxation agent [8,9]. It is also able to do so with relative speed, taking effect within 30 minutes to an hour [8,9]. What sets theanine apart from other supplements, is its ability to induce relaxation without drowsiness . There is much research dedicated to L-Theanineâ€™s relaxation promoting benefits in both animal and human studies.*
Theanine as a Nootropic
Some of theanineâ€™s nootropic benefits directly correlate to its ability to promote relaxation. It is well-documented that corticosterone exerts negative effects on memory [11,12]. Theanine is able to supplement memory. Independent of its mood boosting benefits, theanine may also able to positively affect delayed recognition and recall.* 
Why L-Theanine and Caffeine Capsules?
While it may seem counterintuitive to combine a stimulant with a relaxation promoting supplement, theanine and caffeine are a unique mix. Theanine is able to attenuate the negative effects of caffeine (headaches and jitters) while simultaneously benefiting alertness, reaction time, and working memory . This combination provides smooth, focused energy without the drawbacks commonly associated with stimulants and other supplements.*
Caffeine and Theanine Powder vs. Capsules
Caffeine and theanine are available in both bulk powder and capsule form. While one method of supplementation is not more effective than the other, capsules are much more convenient. Caffeine and theanine capsules provided pre-measured dosages that remove the tedium of measuring your supplements every day.
L-Theanine and Caffeine Dosage
Theanine and caffeine are most often used in a 2:1 ratio. Each capsule contains 200mg of theanine and 100mg of caffeine. For best results, individuals should take 1 theanine and caffeine capsule per day.
So these are great. They aren't big capsules. The caffeine : l-theanine ratio of 1:2 is considered fairly optimal for most people. If I had to choose an amount of caffeine I would want in one dose (one pill), I would have chosen pretty close to 80mg, which is what these provide (100mg is too much for me, 50mg too low). You may be different, but in any case, they're 5 stars for me. I take them to the coffee shop because all my other noots are free powder form.â€“ Christopher C.
"I'm a 50 year old male who does Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I like to use this product about an hour before class. It doesn't make me shaky or make my heart rate elevate that I notice. I'm 5'10 and weigh 180lbs - I only take 2 before I get on the mats. I've taken 3 but felt a bit nauseated after rolling for 2 hours. That may have been due to something else though. But I find 2 works well for me. Will order again."â€“ James H.
"Very new to nootropics and heard that l-theanine and caffeine was a good starter. Used it for a good 2-3 weeks and it gives you that boost in the morning. You don't get jitters from the caffeine and you feel focused. It's hard to notice the effects because they are quite subtle. Overall, excellent product and would recommend to anyone new to nootropics or want to focus without drinking coffee. Although nothing beats the taste and smell of coffee in the morning."â€“ Vincent F.
"I love caffiene and like many at times over indulges. I learned about Theanine balancing caffiene and would often take some when I've had too much caffiene. To put it together beforehand as a balanced, clean energy that is almost unnoticeable. I'll take 2 caps in the mid afternoon when I might reach for a cup of jo and get so much work done and don't really notice a change in my energy most of the time."â€“ Tim T.
Additional ResourcesTheanine Examine Page
Caffeine Examine Page
Why was my review rejected or removed?
If your review does not conform to these guidelines, it may be rejected or removed. All reviews are held in moderation for eight (8) days prior to publishing to ensure these guidelines are met.
We are unable to accept the following reviews:
Reviews that do not pertain to the product
- Shipping and Packaging – Comments about your shipping experience or the product packaging is not a product review and should be addressed at http://help.powdercity.com/.
- Product Availability – Commentary about product availability is not a product review. If you have questions or concerns about product availability, contact us at http://help.powdercity.com/product/restock.html.
Reviews regarding misuse of products
- Dosage recommendations – If you are reporting issues related to taking a product and dosage recommendations were not followed, this does not qualify as a valid review of the product. Please go to http://help.powdercity.com and report it to Powder City support so that they can address the issue directly.
Reviews that contain inappropriate or offensive content
- Inappropriate Content – Reviews may not contain obscenities, profanity, phone numbers, mailing addresses, non-Powder City URLs, foreign language content (unless there is a clear connection to the product), or other people’s material (including excessive quoting).
- Hate Speech and Offensive Content – We don't allow reviews that express intolerance for people based on their race, gender, religion, sexual preference, or nationality. Customers are allowed to comment or post questions about products as long as it is in a non-threatening manner.
- Promotion of Illegal Conduct – Reviews may not encourage or support behavior that is illegal, including violence, illegal drug use (including combining products with legal prescriptions), underage drinking, and child or animal abuse.
- Medical Conditions – Reviews may not indicate supplements can diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Prescription Drugs – Reviews cannot discuss prescription drug use.
*Statements found within have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult with your physician before taking if you are pregnant, nursing, have any cardiovascular or other medical issues, or anticipate surgery. Keep out of the reach of children.
Scientific studies cited are not conclusive and have limitations, due to of their closed environment nature. Referenced studies will not necessarily determine your experience with a supplement or nootropic, since there are many unaccounted variables, which fall outside the scope of the studies.
The reviews contained within are the opinions of contributors and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Powder City. These reviews should not be taken as fact or recommendation, and are only opinions of products that the contributors may have or may have not used. Powder City makes no warranty, implied or expressed, to the accuracy of information provided by these reviews.