See all reviews
What is Maca Root?
Lepidium meyenii, most commonly referred to as maca, is a plant in the broccoli family found in Peru. The root of the maca plant is used all over the world as an aphrodisiac for both genders.
Maca root contains essential amino acids, healthy fats, and many vitamins and minerals, making this a worthy addition to any general health stack.
Gelatinized Maca Root Powder
Gelatinization is the process of heating the root in water to remove starches. With starches removed, the body can digest the supplement easier and use it more efficiently. This process also increases the water solubility of maca root powder, making the gelatinized version the superior choice for supplementation. 
Maca Root Benefits
Though this root is well known as an aphrodisiac, this supplement has additional benefits. Some of these benefits include mood stabilization, neuroprotection, and improved memory function.
Studies show maca increases sexual desire without interrupting hormonal balance. In fact, maca root has no effect on sex hormones. [2,3] This can be beneficial to individuals wanting to use sexual aids without hormonal side effects.
Most sexual health supplements on the market are targeted toward men alone; however, this product also increases libido in women.  One study shows maca is an effective libido enhancer for those experiencing sexual dysfunctions resulting from SSRI intake. 
Maca not only improves libido, but also improves overall sexual performance. Another maca benefit is its ability to improve sperm motility. [6,7]
In both rat and human studies, maca shows promise as a mood enhancer. These studies conclude that maca root promotes a sense of well-being and acts as an anxiolytic. [8,9]
Maca root shows positive effects on memory improvement. Two studies performed on rats with induced memory impairments showed positive improvements when given maca root. [10,11] This is due to this plant serving as a neuroprotectant. [12,13]
Though more studies are needed to determine macaâ€™s efficacy as a performance enhancing supplement, one study showed promising results. Cyclists were given maca root before a 40km time trial. After 14 days of supplementation, those taking maca greatly improved cycling time. 
Additional Health Benefits of Gelatinized Maca Root
Maca root supplementation promotes prostate health by slowing down the growth of the prostate and shrinking enlarged prostates. [15,16]
Maca Powder Side Effects
There have been no significant side effects experienced from those supplementing with maca.
Maca Root Dosage
The recommended dosage is 1500mg up to three times daily in separate doses.
Additional ResourcesMaca Root Wiki
Why was my review rejected or removed?
If your review does not conform to these guidelines, it may be rejected or removed. All reviews are held in moderation for eight (8) days prior to publishing to ensure these guidelines are met.
We are unable to accept the following reviews:
Reviews that do not pertain to the product
- Shipping and Packaging – Comments about your shipping experience or the product packaging is not a product review and should be addressed at http://help.powdercity.com/.
- Product Availability – Commentary about product availability is not a product review. If you have questions or concerns about product availability, contact us at http://help.powdercity.com/product/restock.html.
Reviews regarding misuse of products
- Dosage recommendations – If you are reporting issues related to taking a product and dosage recommendations were not followed, this does not qualify as a valid review of the product. Please go to http://help.powdercity.com and report it to Powder City support so that they can address the issue directly.
Reviews that contain inappropriate or offensive content
- Inappropriate Content – Reviews may not contain obscenities, profanity, phone numbers, mailing addresses, non-Powder City URLs, foreign language content (unless there is a clear connection to the product), or other people’s material (including excessive quoting).
- Hate Speech and Offensive Content – We don't allow reviews that express intolerance for people based on their race, gender, religion, sexual preference, or nationality. Customers are allowed to comment or post questions about products as long as it is in a non-threatening manner.
- Promotion of Illegal Conduct – Reviews may not encourage or support behavior that is illegal, including violence, illegal drug use (including combining products with legal prescriptions), underage drinking, and child or animal abuse.
- Medical Conditions – Reviews may not indicate supplements can diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Prescription Drugs – Reviews cannot discuss prescription drug use.
*Statements found within have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult with your physician before taking if you are pregnant, nursing, have any cardiovascular or other medical issues, or anticipate surgery. Keep out of the reach of children.
Scientific studies cited are not conclusive and have limitations, due to of their closed environment nature. Referenced studies will not necessarily determine your experience with a supplement or nootropic, since there are many unaccounted variables, which fall outside the scope of the studies.
The reviews contained within are the opinions of contributors and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Powder City. These reviews should not be taken as fact or recommendation, and are only opinions of products that the contributors may have or may have not used. Powder City makes no warranty, implied or expressed, to the accuracy of information provided by these reviews.