See all reviews
Ashwagandha is also available in capsules.
What Is Ashwagandha?
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is an herb that is traditionally used in India. When translated from Sanskrit, ashwagandha means ‘smell of horse’, owing to the root’s distinct smell of a horse and the belief that the strength and virility of a horse can be had by ingesting the herb. [1,2] Similar to Rhodiola rosea, ashwagandha is an adaptogen, meaning that it has mood-enhancing properties.
Ashwagandha Powder with 2.5% Withanolides
The main active components found in this herb that are thought to bestow its effects are withanolide structures. 
Since ashwagandha is an adaptogen, it has healthy mood promoting properties. Studies show that supplementing with ashwagandha can lead to an increase in subjective well-being.* 
Ashwagandha is capable of enhancing your workout too, whether aerobic or anaerobic. A study found that taking ashwagandha can benefit VO2 max.  A reflection of aerobic fitness, the V02 max is the maximum rate of oxygen that an individual can consume during exercise. The greater your VO2 max, the greater your endurance capacity.*
Aerobic exercise like high-intensity weightlifting can also get a boost from ashwagandha. One study found that ashwagandha supplementation led to an improvement in bench press results.  Another study found a significant benefit in the strength of quadriceps and back extensor muscles.* 
The recommended ashwagandha dosage is 500mg, taken two to three times daily.
Is this extract from the root of the plant?
How long does it take to feel the effects?
According to the majority of reports online and from Powder City staff, most feel Ashwagandha's effects within ten minutes.
“In the 3-weeks since I began taking Ashwaganda the amount of sustained energy has been truly astounding! And because of this boundless energy my desire to do exercising over long periods of time, has reduced my weight from 251.5 to 243. Two notables. Firstly the sweating. Sitting, doing nothing and it is raining where I am sitting! HA! Secondly when I am susposed to be sleeping? I am awake. For some this would be undesirable. But for me? Refreshing! I used to just want to take naps. That is a gone feature in my life. Burning more calories. Thankyou Powder City for helping to make this possible! YES!”- Robert C.
"There are often small variations in color and consistency with herbal sourced products like ashwagandha so I was not surprised that this pouchful was a little lighter color than one I order in spring. Flavor, effect and handling consistency remained identical tho. Shipping as always was excellent with plenty of convenient step-by-step email updates. Powdercity you've never let me down, keep up the great work.”– Guy G.
“I've been taking this product for a couple weeks now, 500 milligrams at night just before I go to bed and I must say it knocks me out. The first time I took it was in the morning right before I went to the gym and I almost turned my car around just to go home and take a nap, granted it was a very good workout out (Im sure it was thanks to my l theanine and my PWO supplement). Other than helping me sleep at night, Its difficult for me to identify any other effect in particular this supplement has. I do however feel great on a daily basis (mental clarity, focus, calmer, better mind muscle connection in the gym) but I know that's mostly attributed to the L theanine, ALCAR, and alpha gpc im taking. I've heard this supplement can take a while to build up in your system but Ill wait and see if I ever notice a discernable difference.”– Nick F.
“I am very pleased with the effects this supplement has. I cycled off for a few weeks after a month of use, and upon getting back on I realized the difference it made was considerable. Most noticeable is the anxiolytic effect. The anti-inflammatory, motivation and focus boost are also there, as well as a relaxing effect with a larger dose. I have stacked this with Bacopa Monnierri and Noopept (with DMAE and Acetyl-L-Carnitine) for several months, and I have been noticeably sharper and more effective during that time. I have also noticed no tolerance issues. Highly recommended."– Justin
Additional ResourcesAshwagandha Wiki
Ashwagandha Examine Page
Why was my review rejected or removed?
If your review does not conform to these guidelines, it may be rejected or removed. All reviews are held in moderation for eight (8) days prior to publishing to ensure these guidelines are met.
We are unable to accept the following reviews:
Reviews that do not pertain to the product
- Shipping and Packaging – Comments about your shipping experience or the product packaging is not a product review and should be addressed at http://help.powdercity.com/.
- Product Availability – Commentary about product availability is not a product review. If you have questions or concerns about product availability, contact us at http://help.powdercity.com/product/restock.html.
Reviews regarding misuse of products
- Dosage recommendations – If you are reporting issues related to taking a product and dosage recommendations were not followed, this does not qualify as a valid review of the product. Please go to http://help.powdercity.com and report it to Powder City support so that they can address the issue directly.
Reviews that contain inappropriate or offensive content
- Inappropriate Content – Reviews may not contain obscenities, profanity, phone numbers, mailing addresses, non-Powder City URLs, foreign language content (unless there is a clear connection to the product), or other people’s material (including excessive quoting).
- Hate Speech and Offensive Content – We don't allow reviews that express intolerance for people based on their race, gender, religion, sexual preference, or nationality. Customers are allowed to comment or post questions about products as long as it is in a non-threatening manner.
- Promotion of Illegal Conduct – Reviews may not encourage or support behavior that is illegal, including violence, illegal drug use (including combining products with legal prescriptions), underage drinking, and child or animal abuse.
- Medical Conditions – Reviews may not indicate supplements can diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Prescription Drugs – Reviews cannot discuss prescription drug use.
*Statements found within have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult with your physician before taking if you are pregnant, nursing, have any cardiovascular or other medical issues, or anticipate surgery. Keep out of the reach of children.
Scientific studies cited are not conclusive and have limitations, due to of their closed environment nature. Referenced studies will not necessarily determine your experience with a supplement or nootropic, since there are many unaccounted variables, which fall outside the scope of the studies.
The reviews contained within are the opinions of contributors and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Powder City. These reviews should not be taken as fact or recommendation, and are only opinions of products that the contributors may have or may have not used. Powder City makes no warranty, implied or expressed, to the accuracy of information provided by these reviews.