See all reviews
Glycine is the smallest amino acid, yet has the largest range of functions, ranging from acting as a neurotransmitter to facilitating the production of muscle tissue in healthy individuals, supplementing with glycine exhibits nootropic properties, such as improved memory and attention, while also promoting overall health, such as maintaining the acid-base balance in the gut and acting as a cellular health supplement as well.*
The vast range of bodily functions makes glycine one of the most abundant amino acids in both the human body and dietary proteins alike. Consequently, fish, meat, soy, and even bananas are just a few of the many dietary sources of glycine. While readily available in the diet, research suggests that supplemental glycine provides optimal absorption. 
Glycine Powder as a Nootropic
Nootropic qualities, including supplementation of memory, attention span, and cognition, have been exhibited with supplemental glycine.* [4,3]
Glycine for Sleep
Sleep deprivation inhibits cognitive abilities, whether it results in decreased memory, poor attention span, or just crankiness, compromised sleep is often crippling during the most inconvenient times. Glycine is particularly useful in times where a full night of sleep is difficult in two ways: It promotes sleep quality and energy levels when sleep is restricted.* [1,2]
Glycine Supplements for Athletic Performance
Glycine's role as a cellular health supplement, alongside promoting a healthy digestive tract, make glycine a worthy supplement to anyone looking to improve their overall well-being.*
Creatine, the supplement known to promote athletic and physical development, is made thanks to the help of glycine. Glycine and L-Arginine are combined to form guanidinoacetate, which is then converted to creatine. Although glycine can be synthesized in the body, supplementing your body's production may promote the production of creatine.*
-1-3g/day. All at once or divided throughout the day. If all at once, 30-60 min before sleep
CAS Number: 56-40-6
Synonyms: Aminoethanoic acid, Aminoacetic acid
- File, Sandra E., Emma Fluck, and Cathy Fernandes. "Beneficial Effects Of Glycine (Bioglycin) On Memory And Attention In Young And Middle-Aged Adults." Journal Of Clinical Psychopharmacology 19.6 (1999): 5506-512. PsycINFO. Web. 18 Apr. 2016
Additional ResourcesGlycine on Examine.com
Glycine Wikipedia Entry
Why was my review rejected or removed?
If your review does not conform to these guidelines, it may be rejected or removed. All reviews are held in moderation for eight (8) days prior to publishing to ensure these guidelines are met.
We are unable to accept the following reviews:
Reviews that do not pertain to the product
- Shipping and Packaging – Comments about your shipping experience or the product packaging is not a product review and should be addressed at http://help.powdercity.com/.
- Product Availability – Commentary about product availability is not a product review. If you have questions or concerns about product availability, contact us at http://help.powdercity.com/product/restock.html.
Reviews regarding misuse of products
- Dosage recommendations – If you are reporting issues related to taking a product and dosage recommendations were not followed, this does not qualify as a valid review of the product. Please go to http://help.powdercity.com and report it to Powder City support so that they can address the issue directly.
Reviews that contain inappropriate or offensive content
- Inappropriate Content – Reviews may not contain obscenities, profanity, phone numbers, mailing addresses, non-Powder City URLs, foreign language content (unless there is a clear connection to the product), or other people’s material (including excessive quoting).
- Hate Speech and Offensive Content – We don't allow reviews that express intolerance for people based on their race, gender, religion, sexual preference, or nationality. Customers are allowed to comment or post questions about products as long as it is in a non-threatening manner.
- Promotion of Illegal Conduct – Reviews may not encourage or support behavior that is illegal, including violence, illegal drug use (including combining products with legal prescriptions), underage drinking, and child or animal abuse.
- Medical Conditions – Reviews may not indicate supplements can diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Prescription Drugs – Reviews cannot discuss prescription drug use.
*Statements found within have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult with your physician before taking if you are pregnant, nursing, have any cardiovascular or other medical issues, or anticipate surgery. Keep out of the reach of children.
Scientific studies cited are not conclusive and have limitations, due to of their closed environment nature. Referenced studies will not necessarily determine your experience with a supplement or nootropic, since there are many unaccounted variables, which fall outside the scope of the studies.
The reviews contained within are the opinions of contributors and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Powder City. These reviews should not be taken as fact or recommendation, and are only opinions of products that the contributors may have or may have not used. Powder City makes no warranty, implied or expressed, to the accuracy of information provided by these reviews.