See all reviews
This product has been discontinued, and the remaining stock will be liquidated. Take 30% off all liquidation products under Powder City's Partial Liquidation Sale. 30% off discount has already been applied to the price shown.
What is Alpha-Hydroxy-Isocaproic Acid (HICA)?
Alpha-hydroxy-isocaproic acid, also known as DL-alpha-hydroxy-isocaproic acid, leucic acid, DL-2-hydroxy-4-methvylaeric acid and HICA, results from leucine metabolism in human tissues and is highly valued by athletes. It belongs to the branched chain amino acid leucine, which plays a significant role in supplementing the synthesis of muscle protein.
HICA is also produced during fermentation, and therefore scan be found in certain foods including wines and cheeses. 
Benefits of HICA
HICA consumption has positive benefits for athletes and bodybuilders interested promoting recovery after intense workouts. Studies reveal that athletes who consume alpha-hydroxy-isocaproic acid experienced an increase in lean mass in their lower extremities.* 
Another study showed the increase in lean mass also has a direct relationship on weight increase resulting from an increase in lean mass.* 
Daily Dosage of HICA
Human studies focused on consuming of 1,500 mg daily, split into three divided doses of 500 mg.
- Walser M. Composition for promotion of protein synthesis and suppression of urea formation in the body utilizing alpha-hydroxy-acid analogs of amoni acids. US Patent 1 444 621. 1973.
- Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology April 2004, Volume 64, Issue 3, pp 396-402
Additional ResourcesLeucic Acid Examine Page
Leucic Acid Wiki
Why was my review rejected or removed?
If your review does not conform to these guidelines, it may be rejected or removed. All reviews are held in moderation for eight (8) days prior to publishing to ensure these guidelines are met.
We are unable to accept the following reviews:
Reviews that do not pertain to the product
- Shipping and Packaging – Comments about your shipping experience or the product packaging is not a product review and should be addressed at http://help.powdercity.com/.
- Product Availability – Commentary about product availability is not a product review. If you have questions or concerns about product availability, contact us at http://help.powdercity.com/product/restock.html.
Reviews regarding misuse of products
- Dosage recommendations – If you are reporting issues related to taking a product and dosage recommendations were not followed, this does not qualify as a valid review of the product. Please go to http://help.powdercity.com and report it to Powder City support so that they can address the issue directly.
Reviews that contain inappropriate or offensive content
- Inappropriate Content – Reviews may not contain obscenities, profanity, phone numbers, mailing addresses, non-Powder City URLs, foreign language content (unless there is a clear connection to the product), or other people’s material (including excessive quoting).
- Hate Speech and Offensive Content – We don't allow reviews that express intolerance for people based on their race, gender, religion, sexual preference, or nationality. Customers are allowed to comment or post questions about products as long as it is in a non-threatening manner.
- Promotion of Illegal Conduct – Reviews may not encourage or support behavior that is illegal, including violence, illegal drug use (including combining products with legal prescriptions), underage drinking, and child or animal abuse.
- Medical Conditions – Reviews may not indicate supplements can diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Prescription Drugs – Reviews cannot discuss prescription drug use.
*Statements found within have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult with your physician before taking if you are pregnant, nursing, have any cardiovascular or other medical issues, or anticipate surgery. Keep out of the reach of children.
Scientific studies cited are not conclusive and have limitations, due to of their closed environment nature. Referenced studies will not necessarily determine your experience with a supplement or nootropic, since there are many unaccounted variables, which fall outside the scope of the studies.
The reviews contained within are the opinions of contributors and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Powder City. These reviews should not be taken as fact or recommendation, and are only opinions of products that the contributors may have or may have not used. Powder City makes no warranty, implied or expressed, to the accuracy of information provided by these reviews.