See all reviews
What is 5-HTP?
5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) is a precursor to serotonin â€“ the neurotransmitter responsible for happiness. In supplement form, 5-HTP is extracted from the seeds of Griffonia Simplicifolia plant. 5-HTP cannot be consumed through food so supplementation is necessary.
L-Tryptophan vs 5-HTP
Both of these supplements increase serotonin levels; however, tryptophan is sometimes converted into niacin. Since 5-HTP is only converted to serotonin, this makes it a superior supplement when it comes to improving mood and reducing stress.
What does 5-HTP Do?
5-HTP is commonly used as a sleep aid or calming supplement, but has many other unique benefits.
When experiencing negative moods most individuals reach for comfort foods. These comfort foods typically consist of high amounts of sugar and unhealthy fats. Taking a 5-hydroxytryptophan can curb these emotional based food cravings. This is due to 5-HTPs ability to increase serotonin levels.  5-HTP is a popular ingredient in most diet aids because it acts as an appetite suppressant even in those who are not experiencing mood deficits. [2,3]
Mood and Relaxation
Due to the increased serotonin levels, those supplementing with 5-HTP will experience improved mood and sense of well-being.  5-HTP is just as effective as some SSRIs. One study showed 5-HTP provided similar benefits to those taking a popular SSRI with less negative side effects. 
5-hydroxytryptophan is also an effective sleep aid. One study shows that combining 5-HTP with a GABA supplement decreases sleep latency, improves sleep quality, and prolongs sleep. 
5 HTP Dose
The recommended dosage is one 100mg capsules once daily.
5 HTP Side Effects
Side effects including upset stomach, agitation, dizziness, drowsiness, and fatigue have been reported from those taking 5-HTP
Additional Resources5-HTP Examine Page
Why was my review rejected or removed?
If your review does not conform to these guidelines, it may be rejected or removed. All reviews are held in moderation for eight (8) days prior to publishing to ensure these guidelines are met.
We are unable to accept the following reviews:
Reviews that do not pertain to the product
- Shipping and Packaging – Comments about your shipping experience or the product packaging is not a product review and should be addressed at http://help.powdercity.com/.
- Product Availability – Commentary about product availability is not a product review. If you have questions or concerns about product availability, contact us at http://help.powdercity.com/product/restock.html.
Reviews regarding misuse of products
- Dosage recommendations – If you are reporting issues related to taking a product and dosage recommendations were not followed, this does not qualify as a valid review of the product. Please go to http://help.powdercity.com and report it to Powder City support so that they can address the issue directly.
Reviews that contain inappropriate or offensive content
- Inappropriate Content – Reviews may not contain obscenities, profanity, phone numbers, mailing addresses, non-Powder City URLs, foreign language content (unless there is a clear connection to the product), or other people’s material (including excessive quoting).
- Hate Speech and Offensive Content – We don't allow reviews that express intolerance for people based on their race, gender, religion, sexual preference, or nationality. Customers are allowed to comment or post questions about products as long as it is in a non-threatening manner.
- Promotion of Illegal Conduct – Reviews may not encourage or support behavior that is illegal, including violence, illegal drug use (including combining products with legal prescriptions), underage drinking, and child or animal abuse.
- Medical Conditions – Reviews may not indicate supplements can diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Prescription Drugs – Reviews cannot discuss prescription drug use.
*Statements found within have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult with your physician before taking if you are pregnant, nursing, have any cardiovascular or other medical issues, or anticipate surgery. Keep out of the reach of children.
Scientific studies cited are not conclusive and have limitations, due to of their closed environment nature. Referenced studies will not necessarily determine your experience with a supplement or nootropic, since there are many unaccounted variables, which fall outside the scope of the studies.
The reviews contained within are the opinions of contributors and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Powder City. These reviews should not be taken as fact or recommendation, and are only opinions of products that the contributors may have or may have not used. Powder City makes no warranty, implied or expressed, to the accuracy of information provided by these reviews.