See all reviews
What is Glutamine?
L-Glutamine is an extremely versatile supplement that benefits those looking to pack on muscle, manage theirÂ weight, and improve overall health.* As a conditional amino acid, the body can synthesize it but only to a certain extent. This means if you're physically active you should consume glutamine from your diet or supplement program.* The most common dietary sources of glutamine are beef (1.14g glutamine per 4 oz), skim milk (0.7g glutamine per cup), white rice, and corn. 
There is much debate regarding the bioavailability of glutamine. Some people believe it is an absolute necessity for workout recovery while others thinkÂ it cannot be absorbed. Thankfully, recent research indicates that consuming L-glutamine orally raises plasma glutamine levels significantly.  In fact, L-glutamine absorbs rapidly and raises plasma glutamine levels up to 20% within 30 minutes.  Furthermore, supplementing with glutamine gives your intestines an adequate supply of this versatile amino acid which may supplement the overall health of the intestines.* 
Recovering from a brutal workout as fast as possible necessitates rapid protein synthesis as lifting weights cause micro-tears in your muscle fibers. Glutamine amps up your recovery rate by benefiting the body's synthesis of protein.* 
Glutamine also plays a major role in the distribution of protein within the body due to it acting as a transporter at times. Â In fact, l-glutamine is responsible for up to 33% of the translocation of protein within the body. Â Thus, by consuming additional glutamine the building blocks are present to synthesize protein, and the transporters are there to make it happen in the right places.* 
The area of the small intestine that signals GIP and GLP-1 secretion also absorbs glutamine and partially uses it as fuel. This particular area of the intestine, the duodenum, is vital for immune health. L-Glutamine supplementing immune health via intestinal health in two ways: it benefits the functions of the GI tract and boosts the presence of glutathione.*
Gut barrier function ensures food moves properly along the digestive tract and is absorbed adequately. Glutamine can supplement this gut barrier function, which is likely due to glutamine acting as a rich fuel source for the cells of the intestine.* 
Most users and experts agree that the ideal l-glutamine dosage is 1-5 grams daily.Â As with any supplement, starting on the lower end of the spectrum.
â€œGlutamine doesn't do much for working out but I love it for the other benefits. I can feel a slight uptick in energy if I have been losing sleep and not eating well (sometimes I will have a problem getting to sleep if I take it too late at night). Primarily I take glutamine for my immune system. When I feel a cold coming on I take at least 10g a day and I've felt my body fighting off the cold. It doesn't completely prevent it but I definitely feel a difference and I never get fully sick. It's also supposed to help with digestion. The benefits from glutamine are hard to feel by themselves but after years of taking it (and being a cheapskate with buying supplements) I think it's worth the few cents a day for at least 5g. For the price these benefits are worth it to me. After years of buying supplements I've whittled down my list to Glutamine, 5-htp, protein powder (which has all the BCAA's you need), and caffeine (some time with theanine to cancel the jitters, sometimes not). These are the only ones I've found to work for a reasonable price.â€- Shane M
â€œAfter the gains, are you? Excellent. You've come to the right place. Glutamine seems to help me with fullness and speedy recovery. Another benefit of Glutamine is its ability to help reduce sugar cravings when following a low carbohydrate diet. The Glutamine from Powder City is high quality stuff. Use it. Love it. GROW!â€- Joseph C.
I tried Powder City Glutamine because the last batch I had from another vendor wreaked of ammonia, and they tried to tell me it was a natural product of the amino acid breakdown. I'm sure it is! But why is the product breaking down in the first place?? So I called BS. I'm pleased to say that Powder City's Glutamine DOES NOT wreak of ammonia, smells neutral, and dissolves. Like any other pure amino acid, it will not taste great straight, so I mix it with my milk and vanilla protein along with BCAAs and creatine. No problem! The ONLY issue I have is that the 500g came in six smaller packages. Not a big deal, just slightly annoying.- Tom
Additional ResourcesGlutamine Examine Page
Why was my review rejected or removed?
If your review does not conform to these guidelines, it may be rejected or removed. All reviews are held in moderation for eight (8) days prior to publishing to ensure these guidelines are met.
We are unable to accept the following reviews:
Reviews that do not pertain to the product
- Shipping and Packaging – Comments about your shipping experience or the product packaging is not a product review and should be addressed at http://help.powdercity.com/.
- Product Availability – Commentary about product availability is not a product review. If you have questions or concerns about product availability, contact us at http://help.powdercity.com/product/restock.html.
Reviews regarding misuse of products
- Dosage recommendations – If you are reporting issues related to taking a product and dosage recommendations were not followed, this does not qualify as a valid review of the product. Please go to http://help.powdercity.com and report it to Powder City support so that they can address the issue directly.
Reviews that contain inappropriate or offensive content
- Inappropriate Content – Reviews may not contain obscenities, profanity, phone numbers, mailing addresses, non-Powder City URLs, foreign language content (unless there is a clear connection to the product), or other people’s material (including excessive quoting).
- Hate Speech and Offensive Content – We don't allow reviews that express intolerance for people based on their race, gender, religion, sexual preference, or nationality. Customers are allowed to comment or post questions about products as long as it is in a non-threatening manner.
- Promotion of Illegal Conduct – Reviews may not encourage or support behavior that is illegal, including violence, illegal drug use (including combining products with legal prescriptions), underage drinking, and child or animal abuse.
- Medical Conditions – Reviews may not indicate supplements can diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Prescription Drugs – Reviews cannot discuss prescription drug use.
*Statements found within have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult with your physician before taking if you are pregnant, nursing, have any cardiovascular or other medical issues, or anticipate surgery. Keep out of the reach of children.
Scientific studies cited are not conclusive and have limitations, due to of their closed environment nature. Referenced studies will not necessarily determine your experience with a supplement or nootropic, since there are many unaccounted variables, which fall outside the scope of the studies.
The reviews contained within are the opinions of contributors and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Powder City. These reviews should not be taken as fact or recommendation, and are only opinions of products that the contributors may have or may have not used. Powder City makes no warranty, implied or expressed, to the accuracy of information provided by these reviews.