See all reviews
What is ZMA®?
ZMA® is Zinc Magnesium Aspartate, a formulation of zinc, magnesium and vitamin B6, each of which boasts numerous health benefits*.
Zinc supports the immune system, while magnesium promotes metabolism, digestion, and sleep quality, and vitamin B6 is a known energy enhancer*.
When taken separately, individuals can ensure that they have adequate amounts of these nutrients, but the chelate form used in ZMA® is preferable because it minimizes interference in the absorption of the minerals.
In addition to the known benefits associated with each of the minerals that comprise ZMA®. This formulation has particular benefits associated with muscular strength and endurance*.
Despite the prevalence of zinc and magnesium in foods, deficiencies in these minerals are quite common among the general population, with studies revealing that athletes in particular tend to have even lower levels of magnesium and zinc, likely a result of increased sweating .
One study at Western Washington University found that ZMA® supplemented strength and power . Another study found that subjects who supplemented with magnesium while completing a leg training program noticed a 20 percent increase in performance*.
Researchers have found that zinc depletion can reduce maximum muscular endurance potential in individuals , noting that maintaining adequate zinc levels is beneficial in promoting muscular endurance*.
As ZMA® contains a highly bioavailable form of magnesium, which is often used for sleep benefits. Enhanced sleep quality can further improve muscle recovery from intense workouts* .
Men take three 1cc scoops, women take two 1cc scoops daily. Experts recommend taking ZMA® 30 to 60 minutes before bed on an empty stomach, and never with calcium, which inhibits absorption.
- Brilla LR, Conte V. Effects of a novel zinc-magnesium formulation on hormones and strength. J Exerc Physiol Online. 2000;3:26–36
- Brilla LR, Conte, V. Effects of zinc-magnesium (ZMA) supplementation on muscle attributes of football players. Med and Sci in Sports and Exercise, Vol. 31, No. 5, May 1999
- Kern W, et al. J Appl Physiol, 1995 Nov, 79:5, 1461-8
Why was my review rejected or removed?
If your review does not conform to these guidelines, it may be rejected or removed. All reviews are held in moderation for eight (8) days prior to publishing to ensure these guidelines are met.
We are unable to accept the following reviews:
Reviews that do not pertain to the product
- Shipping and Packaging – Comments about your shipping experience or the product packaging is not a product review and should be addressed at http://help.powdercity.com/.
- Product Availability – Commentary about product availability is not a product review. If you have questions or concerns about product availability, contact us at http://help.powdercity.com/product/restock.html.
Reviews regarding misuse of products
- Dosage recommendations – If you are reporting issues related to taking a product and dosage recommendations were not followed, this does not qualify as a valid review of the product. Please go to http://help.powdercity.com and report it to Powder City support so that they can address the issue directly.
Reviews that contain inappropriate or offensive content
- Inappropriate Content – Reviews may not contain obscenities, profanity, phone numbers, mailing addresses, non-Powder City URLs, foreign language content (unless there is a clear connection to the product), or other people’s material (including excessive quoting).
- Hate Speech and Offensive Content – We don't allow reviews that express intolerance for people based on their race, gender, religion, sexual preference, or nationality. Customers are allowed to comment or post questions about products as long as it is in a non-threatening manner.
- Promotion of Illegal Conduct – Reviews may not encourage or support behavior that is illegal, including violence, illegal drug use (including combining products with legal prescriptions), underage drinking, and child or animal abuse.
- Medical Conditions – Reviews may not indicate supplements can diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Prescription Drugs – Reviews cannot discuss prescription drug use.
*Statements found within have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult with your physician before taking if you are pregnant, nursing, have any cardiovascular or other medical issues, or anticipate surgery. Keep out of the reach of children.
Scientific studies cited are not conclusive and have limitations, due to of their closed environment nature. Referenced studies will not necessarily determine your experience with a supplement or nootropic, since there are many unaccounted variables, which fall outside the scope of the studies.
The reviews contained within are the opinions of contributors and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Powder City. These reviews should not be taken as fact or recommendation, and are only opinions of products that the contributors may have or may have not used. Powder City makes no warranty, implied or expressed, to the accuracy of information provided by these reviews.