See all reviews
This product has been discontinued, and the remaining stock will be liquidated. Take 30% off all liquidation products under Powder City's Partial Liquidation Sale. 30% off discount has already been applied to the price shown.
What is Valerian Root?
Extracted from the valeriana officinalis plant, valerian root usage dates back to the era of Ancient Greece. Documents from the 16th century note a pilgrim prescribing valerian to a sick woman.  The primary active component, valerenic acid, was extracted in 1891, as referenced in the American Journal of Pharmacology. 
Valerian Root Benefits
Today, individuals use valerian root for its anxiolytic and sleep-promoting properties. Research indicates that the bodily mechanisms associated with valerenic acid metabolism may help promote circulatory system health.  Supplementing with valerian root helps calm the mind by promoting relaxation. Furthermore, valerian root reduces the severity and duration of dysmenorrhea (menstrual cramps) by up to 73% thanks to its antispasmodic properties. 
Valerian Root Extract for Quality Sleep
Most people that suffer from sleep related issues have trouble falling asleep and/or staying asleep. Valerian supplementation maycan decrease sleep latency, the time it takes to fall asleep, by augmenting adenosine, a neurotransmitter that induces drowsiness. [6,7] Valerian root also modulated GABA, a neurotransmitter that induces feelings of relaxation and sedation.  These effects act synergistically to help induce feelings of calmness and relaxation. Additionally, two of the flavones found in valerian root, methylapigenin and hesperidin, act synergistically with valerenic acid to cause relaxation and improve sleep.  The benefit of adenosine and GABA augmentation versus upregulation is that valerian root is less likely to induce daytime fatigue in comparison to supplements that increase the production of these neurotransmitters. Simply put, valerian can help with falling asleep and staying asleep instead of forcing sleep.
Valerian Root Extract as a Nootropic Supplement
The nootropic benefits of valerian root lie in its modulation of GABA and glutamate activity. Glutamate and GABA stimulate NMDA and AMPA receptors, which play major roles in cognitive function, particularly long-term potentiation.  Valerenic acid has an affinity for a specific glutamate receptor that has anxiolytic effects, known as group I mGluR receptors.  As a result, enhanced cognitive function can occur with valerian root supplementation.
Valerian Root Side Effects
Side effects from valerian root supplementation are rare, with the most common side effects being an upset stomach and vivid dreams.  Side effects can be mitigated by spreading out doses throughout the day. Doses above 900mg taken before bed can cause drowsiness and brain fog the following day.
Valerian Root Dosage
A standard valerian root dosage is 300mg taken one or two times per day. It is best to take it with a meal to avoid daytime drowsiness. Individuals using valerian root as a sleep aid should take 600mg around bed time.
Synonyms: Valeriana officinalis, Garden Valerian, Garden Heliotrope, All-Heal
Why was my review rejected or removed?
If your review does not conform to these guidelines, it may be rejected or removed. All reviews are held in moderation for eight (8) days prior to publishing to ensure these guidelines are met.
We are unable to accept the following reviews:
Reviews that do not pertain to the product
- Shipping and Packaging – Comments about your shipping experience or the product packaging is not a product review and should be addressed at http://help.powdercity.com/.
- Product Availability – Commentary about product availability is not a product review. If you have questions or concerns about product availability, contact us at http://help.powdercity.com/product/restock.html.
Reviews regarding misuse of products
- Dosage recommendations – If you are reporting issues related to taking a product and dosage recommendations were not followed, this does not qualify as a valid review of the product. Please go to http://help.powdercity.com and report it to Powder City support so that they can address the issue directly.
Reviews that contain inappropriate or offensive content
- Inappropriate Content – Reviews may not contain obscenities, profanity, phone numbers, mailing addresses, non-Powder City URLs, foreign language content (unless there is a clear connection to the product), or other people’s material (including excessive quoting).
- Hate Speech and Offensive Content – We don't allow reviews that express intolerance for people based on their race, gender, religion, sexual preference, or nationality. Customers are allowed to comment or post questions about products as long as it is in a non-threatening manner.
- Promotion of Illegal Conduct – Reviews may not encourage or support behavior that is illegal, including violence, illegal drug use (including combining products with legal prescriptions), underage drinking, and child or animal abuse.
- Medical Conditions – Reviews may not indicate supplements can diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Prescription Drugs – Reviews cannot discuss prescription drug use.
*Statements found within have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult with your physician before taking if you are pregnant, nursing, have any cardiovascular or other medical issues, or anticipate surgery. Keep out of the reach of children.
Scientific studies cited are not conclusive and have limitations, due to of their closed environment nature. Referenced studies will not necessarily determine your experience with a supplement or nootropic, since there are many unaccounted variables, which fall outside the scope of the studies.
The reviews contained within are the opinions of contributors and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Powder City. These reviews should not be taken as fact or recommendation, and are only opinions of products that the contributors may have or may have not used. Powder City makes no warranty, implied or expressed, to the accuracy of information provided by these reviews.