See all reviews
Due to the sensitive nature of this product, expedited shipping and refrigeration is highly recommended!
What is SAM-e?
SAMe is formed when the essential amino acid methionine and adenosine triphosphate (ATP) react within the body. SAMe works as a methyl donor, transferring a methyl group to another compound. This process is known as methylation, which is crucial to happiness and mental health.
The most common use for SAM-e is as a mood regulator; however, this supplement has many additional benefits relating to joint health, cardiovascular health, and cognition.
SAM-e Levels and Mood
Those suffering from mood imbalances may be experiencing low levels of SAM-e, so using a SAM-e supplement is crucial for boosting mood. SAM-e improves mood by increasing the turnover of serotonin and dopamine which are neurotransmitters responsible for happiness, energy, focus, and many other functions within the brain. [1,2]
SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) are commonly prescribed to patients experiencing certain mood disturbances. Though some of these treatments are effective, they come with many negative side effects. Common side effects experienced during SSRI treatment include headaches, nausea, nervousness, drowsiness, and weight fluctuation.  SAM-e is better tolerated than most SSRIs and is proven to be just as effective in some individuals. [4,5,6]
SAM-e for Memory
SAM-e can improve memory decline especially in those experiencing deficits caused by mood imbalances. This supplement also improves social fluidity in those experiencing the same mood-related symptoms.  More studies are needed to find SAM-e’s efficacy as a memory enhancer in otherwise healthy individuals.
SAM-e may be able to assist in the health and protection of the cardiovascular system. This supplement can function as a vasodilator which allows blood to flow more efficiently throughout the vessels.  Vasodilators make it so the heart does not have to work as hard to pump blood throughout the body. S-adenosylmethionine also promotes smooth muscle cell function; however, the reason behind this has not yet been established. 
Other benefits of SAM-e are its role as an anti-inflammatory agent and its ability to improve joint comfort. This supplement also improves joint mobility.  SAM-e is shown to be just as effective as some of the over the counter anti-inflammatory products on the market. This supplement also seems to be better tolerated than other medications. [10,11,12]
SAM-e Side Effects
SAM-e supplements are commonly well tolerated by most individuals. Reported side effects include upset stomach, dizziness, and nervousness.
Why was my review rejected or removed?
If your review does not conform to these guidelines, it may be rejected or removed. All reviews are held in moderation for eight (8) days prior to publishing to ensure these guidelines are met.
We are unable to accept the following reviews:
Reviews that do not pertain to the product
- Shipping and Packaging – Comments about your shipping experience or the product packaging is not a product review and should be addressed at http://help.powdercity.com/.
- Product Availability – Commentary about product availability is not a product review. If you have questions or concerns about product availability, contact us at http://help.powdercity.com/product/restock.html.
Reviews regarding misuse of products
- Dosage recommendations – If you are reporting issues related to taking a product and dosage recommendations were not followed, this does not qualify as a valid review of the product. Please go to http://help.powdercity.com and report it to Powder City support so that they can address the issue directly.
Reviews that contain inappropriate or offensive content
- Inappropriate Content – Reviews may not contain obscenities, profanity, phone numbers, mailing addresses, non-Powder City URLs, foreign language content (unless there is a clear connection to the product), or other people’s material (including excessive quoting).
- Hate Speech and Offensive Content – We don't allow reviews that express intolerance for people based on their race, gender, religion, sexual preference, or nationality. Customers are allowed to comment or post questions about products as long as it is in a non-threatening manner.
- Promotion of Illegal Conduct – Reviews may not encourage or support behavior that is illegal, including violence, illegal drug use (including combining products with legal prescriptions), underage drinking, and child or animal abuse.
- Medical Conditions – Reviews may not indicate supplements can diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Prescription Drugs – Reviews cannot discuss prescription drug use.
*Statements found within have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult with your physician before taking if you are pregnant, nursing, have any cardiovascular or other medical issues, or anticipate surgery. Keep out of the reach of children.
Scientific studies cited are not conclusive and have limitations, due to of their closed environment nature. Referenced studies will not necessarily determine your experience with a supplement or nootropic, since there are many unaccounted variables, which fall outside the scope of the studies.
The reviews contained within are the opinions of contributors and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Powder City. These reviews should not be taken as fact or recommendation, and are only opinions of products that the contributors may have or may have not used. Powder City makes no warranty, implied or expressed, to the accuracy of information provided by these reviews.