See all reviews
What is N-Acetyl L-Cysteine?
N-Acetyl L-Cysteine (NAC) is an acetylated form of cysteine, an amino acid. NAC converts into cysteine which helps synthesize glutathione in the body. Both cysteine and glutathione have been explored as stand-alone supplements. However, both supplements are broken down too fast to be of much use hence the preference of NAC.  Glutathione is a potent cellular healthy supplement, capable of fighting free radicals.*  Free radicals damage cells and can contribute to cognitive decline.* 
N-Acetyl L-Cysteine Benefits
NAC has a number of benefits, including supplementing cellular, cognitive and cardiovascular health. Secondary to its cellular health properties, N-Acetyl L-Cysteine may be contributing to alleviating the damage caused by free radicals.*  NAC has also been shown to promote healthy mood. 
As mentioned above, NAC converts into L-cysteine within the body which supplements the amount of glutathione your body makes.* This is significant because glutathione is able to scavenge free radicals and limit their deleterious effects.  Even so, glutathione degrades over time. It is limited by the amount of L-cysteine present.
Since direct supplementation with L-cysteine is ineffective, N-Acetyl L-Cysteine supplements are the preferred alternative. NAC converts into usable L-cysteine, which then promotes the glutathione resynthesis process.*  NAC is effective at scavenging hydroxyl radicals and hypochlorous acid.  Once converted into glutathione, it can help detoxify reactive oxygen species at the cellular level. 
N-Acetyl Cysteine Dosage
The recommended NAC dosage is 500mg per day.
Why was my review rejected or removed?
If your review does not conform to these guidelines, it may be rejected or removed. All reviews are held in moderation for eight (8) days prior to publishing to ensure these guidelines are met.
We are unable to accept the following reviews:
Reviews that do not pertain to the product
- Shipping and Packaging – Comments about your shipping experience or the product packaging is not a product review and should be addressed at http://help.powdercity.com/.
- Product Availability – Commentary about product availability is not a product review. If you have questions or concerns about product availability, contact us at http://help.powdercity.com/product/restock.html.
Reviews regarding misuse of products
- Dosage recommendations – If you are reporting issues related to taking a product and dosage recommendations were not followed, this does not qualify as a valid review of the product. Please go to http://help.powdercity.com and report it to Powder City support so that they can address the issue directly.
Reviews that contain inappropriate or offensive content
- Inappropriate Content – Reviews may not contain obscenities, profanity, phone numbers, mailing addresses, non-Powder City URLs, foreign language content (unless there is a clear connection to the product), or other people’s material (including excessive quoting).
- Hate Speech and Offensive Content – We don't allow reviews that express intolerance for people based on their race, gender, religion, sexual preference, or nationality. Customers are allowed to comment or post questions about products as long as it is in a non-threatening manner.
- Promotion of Illegal Conduct – Reviews may not encourage or support behavior that is illegal, including violence, illegal drug use (including combining products with legal prescriptions), underage drinking, and child or animal abuse.
- Medical Conditions – Reviews may not indicate supplements can diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Prescription Drugs – Reviews cannot discuss prescription drug use.
*Statements found within have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult with your physician before taking if you are pregnant, nursing, have any cardiovascular or other medical issues, or anticipate surgery. Keep out of the reach of children.
Scientific studies cited are not conclusive and have limitations, due to of their closed environment nature. Referenced studies will not necessarily determine your experience with a supplement or nootropic, since there are many unaccounted variables, which fall outside the scope of the studies.
The reviews contained within are the opinions of contributors and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Powder City. These reviews should not be taken as fact or recommendation, and are only opinions of products that the contributors may have or may have not used. Powder City makes no warranty, implied or expressed, to the accuracy of information provided by these reviews.