See all reviews
What is Methylcobalamin?
Methylcobalamin is a form and physiological equivalent of Vitamin B12. Methylcobalamin is an excellent source of Vitamin B12 as it is one of the only forms that are innately enzymatic cofactors; most other forms of B12 must convert first. 
Cofactors are molecules that help during biochemical transformations. Since Vitamin B12 is an essential nutrient, supporting its metabolism is crucial to obtain the most benefits and avoid the side effects of Vitamin B12 deficiency. 
Methylcobalamin vs. Cyanocobalamin
The basic structure of Vitamin B12 is Cobalamin. Various forms of this structure provide different benefits. Two common types of Vitamin B12 available on the market are Cyanocobalamin and Methylcobalamin.
Cyanocobalamin is made via bacterial fermentation with the addition of potassium cyanide. Once consumed, an adenosyl or methyl group replaces the cyanide ligand. Your body excretes the cyanide.  Methylcobalamin is Cobalamin combined with a methyl group.  With this form of Vitamin B12, your body does not need to process or excrete cyanide.
By taking Methylcobalamin, you skip a step in metabolizing the Vitamin B12. This is because Methylcobalamin is an active form of Vitamin B12 whereas Cyanocobalamin is not. Skipping this methylation step allows you to see benefits faster.
Adequate levels of Vitamin B12 are vital to numerous bodily functions. Individuals deficient in Vitamin B12 can experience cognitive impairments, a problem that worsens with age.  Vegetarians and vegans, in particular, are prone to Vitamin B12 deficiency as meat is a primary source of Vitamin B12.  By taking Methylcobalamin, individuals can maintain healthy levels of Vitamin B12 and help maintain their cognitive function.
Low levels of Vitamin B12 can also affect mood. Individuals suffering from poor moods often have insufficient levels of Vitamin B12.  One study found that by elevating Vitamin B12 levels, individuals were very likely to see an improvement in mood. 
Vitamin B12 is necessary to maintain energy levels. Individuals lacking in Vitamin B12 often experience fatigue and weakness.  Maintaining proper levels of Vitamin B12 helps individuals avoid this problem.
Individuals should take 100mg of Methylcobalamin 1%, which is the equivalent of 1mg Methylcobalamin, per day.
Additional ResourcesVitamin B12 Examine Page
Why was my review rejected or removed?
If your review does not conform to these guidelines, it may be rejected or removed. All reviews are held in moderation for eight (8) days prior to publishing to ensure these guidelines are met.
We are unable to accept the following reviews:
Reviews that do not pertain to the product
- Shipping and Packaging – Comments about your shipping experience or the product packaging is not a product review and should be addressed at http://help.powdercity.com/.
- Product Availability – Commentary about product availability is not a product review. If you have questions or concerns about product availability, contact us at http://help.powdercity.com/product/restock.html.
Reviews regarding misuse of products
- Dosage recommendations – If you are reporting issues related to taking a product and dosage recommendations were not followed, this does not qualify as a valid review of the product. Please go to http://help.powdercity.com and report it to Powder City support so that they can address the issue directly.
Reviews that contain inappropriate or offensive content
- Inappropriate Content – Reviews may not contain obscenities, profanity, phone numbers, mailing addresses, non-Powder City URLs, foreign language content (unless there is a clear connection to the product), or other people’s material (including excessive quoting).
- Hate Speech and Offensive Content – We don't allow reviews that express intolerance for people based on their race, gender, religion, sexual preference, or nationality. Customers are allowed to comment or post questions about products as long as it is in a non-threatening manner.
- Promotion of Illegal Conduct – Reviews may not encourage or support behavior that is illegal, including violence, illegal drug use (including combining products with legal prescriptions), underage drinking, and child or animal abuse.
- Medical Conditions – Reviews may not indicate supplements can diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Prescription Drugs – Reviews cannot discuss prescription drug use.
*Statements found within have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult with your physician before taking if you are pregnant, nursing, have any cardiovascular or other medical issues, or anticipate surgery. Keep out of the reach of children.
Scientific studies cited are not conclusive and have limitations, due to of their closed environment nature. Referenced studies will not necessarily determine your experience with a supplement or nootropic, since there are many unaccounted variables, which fall outside the scope of the studies.
The reviews contained within are the opinions of contributors and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Powder City. These reviews should not be taken as fact or recommendation, and are only opinions of products that the contributors may have or may have not used. Powder City makes no warranty, implied or expressed, to the accuracy of information provided by these reviews.