See all reviews
What Is L-Tryptophan?
Tryptophan is a precursor to serotonin and melatonin and is an essential amino acid, meaning that the body cannot naturally produce it and so it must be attained through food or supplementation.  While foods such as turkey, cheese, chicken, bananas, milk, fish, tree nuts, and tofu contain high amounts of tryptophan, other compounds within the food may interfere with the absorption of tryptophan, making supplementation a good choice for those looking to benefit from stronger effects. 
Sleep Benefits of Tryptophan
Tryptophan is a precursor to melatonin and so can aid in improving sleep quality. One study found that tryptophan supplementation decreased sleep latency and slightly increased sleeping time.  The greatest effects are felt by those who have longer-than-average sleep latency times.  It is thought that tryptophan brings on sleep by raising levels of serotonin in the brain. Not only can tryptophan help those unable to fall asleep, it can also help those unable to wake up. A study found that taking tryptophan before going to bed can also improve alertness upon waking in the morning. 
Tryptophan Supplements and Serotonin
Since tryptophan is a precursor to serotonin, it can be used to improve mood.  It is usually used in combination with pyridoxine and ascorbic acid, both of which are involved in tryptophan’s metabolism to serotonin.  Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that transmits signals between cells; changes in the level of serotonin in the brain can alter mood. A couple studies show that a combination of 5 Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) and Tryptophan can also help to improve mood. 
Tryptophan Side Effects
Reported side effects include heartburn, stomach pain, gas, vomiting, diarrhea, and loss of appetite.
The recommended dosage is 500mg daily. To increase absorption rate, take with a food or beverage high in carbohydrates, but avoid foods high in protein. Carbohydrate intake releases more insulin which decreases the amount of other amino acids but does not decrease tryptophan, while proteins contain additional amino acids that compete with tryptophan for entry into the brain. 
Why was my review rejected or removed?
If your review does not conform to these guidelines, it may be rejected or removed. All reviews are held in moderation for eight (8) days prior to publishing to ensure these guidelines are met.
We are unable to accept the following reviews:
Reviews that do not pertain to the product
- Shipping and Packaging – Comments about your shipping experience or the product packaging is not a product review and should be addressed at http://help.powdercity.com/.
- Product Availability – Commentary about product availability is not a product review. If you have questions or concerns about product availability, contact us at http://help.powdercity.com/product/restock.html.
Reviews regarding misuse of products
- Dosage recommendations – If you are reporting issues related to taking a product and dosage recommendations were not followed, this does not qualify as a valid review of the product. Please go to http://help.powdercity.com and report it to Powder City support so that they can address the issue directly.
Reviews that contain inappropriate or offensive content
- Inappropriate Content – Reviews may not contain obscenities, profanity, phone numbers, mailing addresses, non-Powder City URLs, foreign language content (unless there is a clear connection to the product), or other people’s material (including excessive quoting).
- Hate Speech and Offensive Content – We don't allow reviews that express intolerance for people based on their race, gender, religion, sexual preference, or nationality. Customers are allowed to comment or post questions about products as long as it is in a non-threatening manner.
- Promotion of Illegal Conduct – Reviews may not encourage or support behavior that is illegal, including violence, illegal drug use (including combining products with legal prescriptions), underage drinking, and child or animal abuse.
- Medical Conditions – Reviews may not indicate supplements can diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Prescription Drugs – Reviews cannot discuss prescription drug use.
*Statements found within have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult with your physician before taking if you are pregnant, nursing, have any cardiovascular or other medical issues, or anticipate surgery. Keep out of the reach of children.
Scientific studies cited are not conclusive and have limitations, due to of their closed environment nature. Referenced studies will not necessarily determine your experience with a supplement or nootropic, since there are many unaccounted variables, which fall outside the scope of the studies.
The reviews contained within are the opinions of contributors and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Powder City. These reviews should not be taken as fact or recommendation, and are only opinions of products that the contributors may have or may have not used. Powder City makes no warranty, implied or expressed, to the accuracy of information provided by these reviews.