See all reviews
Choline is an essential nutrient found in eggs, particularly the yolks. Unfortunately, eating numerous eggs every day isn't suggested due to the high cholesterol content as well. Getting enough choline from your diet is harder than it seems; one study found only 2% of post-menopausal women get an adequate amount from their diet .
What is Choline Bitartrate?
Choline is a water soluble compound that is often grouped among the B-complex vitamins. Bitartrate is simply a salt combined with choline to improve absorption. Choline is a phospholipid and a building block of lecithin, a type of fat that is an important component in all cell membranes and acts as a precursor to the neurotransmitter acetylcholine.
Choline Bitartrate Effects and Benefits
The primary reason individuals take choline is for its nootropic benefits. Once ingested, choline bitartrate is able to cross the blood brain barrier to aid in the creation and retention of acetylcholine, which is responsible for memory, learning, focus, and numerous other cognitive functions. It also plays a part in muscle control.
Choline also promotes liver and heart health. Individuals who are choline deficient sometimes experience elevated levels of ALT, a liver enzyme, which is indicative of liver problems [2, 3]. Furthermore, inadequate choline can cause fat and cholesterol to build up within the liver . Choline can aid in reducing your risk for heart health issues as well by helping the body metabolize elevated levels of homocysteine in the blood .
Choline Bitartrate Dose & Dosage
The recommended dosage of choline bitartrate is one rounded 1/8 tsp scoop (500mg) once daily.
Choline Bitartrate VS Alpha GPC
There are numerous choline supplements available on the market and it can be difficult to ascertain the differences. Choline Bitartrate is the most economical variant and contains roughly 40% choline meaning a 1g dose has about 400mg of useable choline. Alpha GPC is also 40% choline by weight; however, it is known as being the most potent form of choline.
So why wouldn't everyone use Alpha GPC? While it is very effective, it comes with a heavy punch to your wallet. 25g of Choline Bitartrate provides 50 servings and costs $2.61 in total; 50g of Alpha GPC provides 83 servings and costs $21.25. If you break that down to cost per serving you get $0.05 for Choline Bitartrate and $0.25 for Alpha GPC. At five times the cost per serving, Alpha GPC is significantly more expensive. If you are looking for an economical way to increase your choline levels, Choline Bitartrate is the way to go.
Why was my review rejected or removed?
If your review does not conform to these guidelines, it may be rejected or removed. All reviews are held in moderation for eight (8) days prior to publishing to ensure these guidelines are met.
We are unable to accept the following reviews:
Reviews that do not pertain to the product
- Shipping and Packaging – Comments about your shipping experience or the product packaging is not a product review and should be addressed at http://help.powdercity.com/.
- Product Availability – Commentary about product availability is not a product review. If you have questions or concerns about product availability, contact us at http://help.powdercity.com/product/restock.html.
Reviews regarding misuse of products
- Dosage recommendations – If you are reporting issues related to taking a product and dosage recommendations were not followed, this does not qualify as a valid review of the product. Please go to http://help.powdercity.com and report it to Powder City support so that they can address the issue directly.
Reviews that contain inappropriate or offensive content
- Inappropriate Content – Reviews may not contain obscenities, profanity, phone numbers, mailing addresses, non-Powder City URLs, foreign language content (unless there is a clear connection to the product), or other people’s material (including excessive quoting).
- Hate Speech and Offensive Content – We don't allow reviews that express intolerance for people based on their race, gender, religion, sexual preference, or nationality. Customers are allowed to comment or post questions about products as long as it is in a non-threatening manner.
- Promotion of Illegal Conduct – Reviews may not encourage or support behavior that is illegal, including violence, illegal drug use (including combining products with legal prescriptions), underage drinking, and child or animal abuse.
- Medical Conditions – Reviews may not indicate supplements can diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Prescription Drugs – Reviews cannot discuss prescription drug use.
*Statements found within have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult with your physician before taking if you are pregnant, nursing, have any cardiovascular or other medical issues, or anticipate surgery. Keep out of the reach of children.
Scientific studies cited are not conclusive and have limitations, due to of their closed environment nature. Referenced studies will not necessarily determine your experience with a supplement or nootropic, since there are many unaccounted variables, which fall outside the scope of the studies.
The reviews contained within are the opinions of contributors and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Powder City. These reviews should not be taken as fact or recommendation, and are only opinions of products that the contributors may have or may have not used. Powder City makes no warranty, implied or expressed, to the accuracy of information provided by these reviews.