Calcium Citrate Powder

Start an order and find out how to receive free US shipping!
1 review
See all reviews
$15.50 $10.29
Save $5.21

Out of stock


What is Calcium Citrate?

Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the body. [1] Calcium is naturally found in dairy, tofu, beans, and even some vegetables. [2] Calcium citrate is calcium + citric acid. Chemically bonding calcium to citrate improves the bioavailability of calcium. [3] Regardless of the form of calcium, obtaining an adequate amount of vitamin D can increase calcium absorption in the gut. Vitamin D can also help maintain serum levels of calcium. [3] Consuming an adequate amount of calcium can increase bone mass density, help balance blood pressure, and can even aid fat loss efforts. [1,4,5,6,7]

Calcium Citrate VS Calcium Carbonate

While calcium carbonate is more common, calcium citrate has greater bioavailability, can have fewer gastrointestinal side effects, and can be taken at any time. [2]

Calcium Citrate Benefits

In the body, calcium is the building block of our bones. It also has diverse roles in cellular and hormonal signaling. Inadequate calcium intake can lead to brittle bones and hormonal imbalances. [1,6,5]

Bone Health

Calcium is one of the major factors in achieving optimal bone mass density (BMD). [4] 99% of bodily calcium is found in our bones and teeth; the other 1% is found in plasma and soft tissues. [1] The 1% is vital to maintaining bodily homeostasis. Maintaining the right calcium levels in extracellular fluids and plasma is so vital that the body will break down its support beams (bones) to achieve the perfect balance. [1] Generally speaking, the body will only breakdown bones if calcium intake is not enough to meet bodily demands.

Early adolescence is the period in which the most rapid increase in bone density is seen. [4] After peak bone mass density is attained, the general goal is to maintain as much bone mass as possible. As previously mentioned, if calcium intake is not sufficient to support bodily functions, the body will catabolize bone to obtain calcium. [1] If this occurs over the course of years, or even decades, bones can become thin, brittle, or misshapen.

Fat Loss

The cellular roles of calcium permit accelerated fat loss, secondary to proper diet and exercise. One study observed a group of participants that consumed 1,300mg of calcium per day alongside another group that consumed 488mg calcium per day. The group consuming more calcium had 11% higher fat oxidation than the low calcium group. [7] A long-term study found that over the course of a year, the high calcium group lost 35% more weight, relative to the low calcium group. In general, adequate calcium intake has been associated with higher rates of whole-body fat oxidation. [6] Increased fat burning is likely due to intracellular calcium's regulation of fat cell metabolism, as it can act as a signal molecule. [6]

Calcium Citrate Powder Dosage

The recommended dosage of calcium citrate is two flat 1/8 tsp scoops (980mg) once daily.

Calcium Citrate Side Effects

Too much calcium intake may cause constipation. Using magnesium with calcium may counteract this side effect.

Additional Resource

Calcium Citrate Wikipedia Entry



Review guidelines


*Statements found within have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult with your physician before taking if you are pregnant, nursing, have any cardiovascular or other medical issues, or anticipate surgery. Keep out of the reach of children.

Scientific studies cited are not conclusive and have limitations, due to of their closed environment nature. Referenced studies will not necessarily determine your experience with a supplement or nootropic, since there are many unaccounted variables, which fall outside the scope of the studies.

The reviews contained within are the opinions of contributors and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Powder City. These reviews should not be taken as fact or recommendation, and are only opinions of products that the contributors may have or may have not used. Powder City makes no warranty, implied or expressed, to the accuracy of information provided by these reviews.

Recently Viewed Products