See all reviews
About Acetyl L-Carnitine Powder (ALCAR)
- Promotes cognitive and cellular health*
- Supplements both short and long-term memory*
- Benefits healthy mood and relaxation*
- Includes 1/8 tsp scoop for easy dosing
- Comes in re-sealable bag to maintain freshness
- Tested for purity
Acetyl L-Carnitine, also known as ALCAR, is the amino acid L-Carnitine bonded with an Acetyl group. Simply put, the acetyl group allows this amino acid to pass the blood-brain barrier more efficiently. L-Carnitine’s main benefit is to use stored fat for energy. Acetyl L-Carnitine is able to assist with energy metabolism as well, but its most popular use is as a cognitive enhancer.
Acetyl L-Carnitine Benefits
Acetyl L-Carnitine supplementation promotes cellular health in the brain. [1,2,3] With healthy neurotransmitters, the brain can function quickly and efficiently which will result in healthy cognitive functioning*
ALCAR Supplements for Athletes
Carnitine is responsible for delivering fatty acids to the mitochondria which are responsible for energy utilization in all cells. This activity promotes a healthy metabolic rate.* 
ALCAR supplements aid in the reduction of the amount of lactic acid produced during high-intensity exercise.* Lactic acid is responsible for muscle soreness and fatigue. With lactic acid production reduced, athletes are able to work out longer with increased intensity.  One study showed that Acetyl L-Carnitine’s ergogenic effects allowed for an increase in workout output by 11%.* 
Acetyl L-Carnitine Dosage
Take one 500mg serving (1 rounded 1/8 tsp. scoop) blended with 8-12oz. of water, juice or sports drink, once daily. To maximize cognitive benefits, consider stacking with a choline source.
ALCAR + ALA
Both of these supplements promote cellular health and provide preworkout benefits. They also have related mechanisms of action when taken together, effects are amplified.* 
ALCAR and ALA should be taken in a 2:1 ratio. The recommended dosage for this stack is 500mg of ALCAR and 250mg of ALA.
What does ALCAR stack well with?
What does ALCAR taste like?
To some, ALCAR powder may have a tart flavor. If you would like to add a sweetener, we suggest using Monk Fruit Extract. We also offer ALCAR Capsules, or you can make your own using our encapsulation kit. For a guide on masking the taste of nootropics, check out this article.
Should I take ALCAR constantly or in cycles?
This is up to individual preference and tolerance. While there are no notable side effects of daily use, most users choose to cycle on and off of it in order to maximize potency.
Is ALCAR water or fat soluble?
ALCAR is a water soluble supplement.
"I have taken various brands of ALCAR over the years, but have stuck with the brand on this site for about the past 6 months. This, along with bacopa, uridine, and fish oil are in my stack to stay for good. I feel since staying on ALCAR that my mental sharpness and ability to stay focused mentally on a task for long periods of time has greatly improved. In addition, I routinely get only 5 hours of sleep due to work schedule. When I up my intake mornings following little sleep, I feel less mentally fatigued during the day."– Jason M.
"I had been using ALCAR from the grocery store in town. I must of been using that one for about 3 months before I gave up on it and began searching for a new source. Something more potent. Powder City's ALCAR came in a 50g foil bag. Great consistency. Doesn't taste bad at all. This product is a must have for any nootropic enthusiast IMO. PC will be my source for ALCAR from here on out. PC delivered again with a great product that is affordable and with outstanding customer service. Thank you!"– Dale
"I really like this supplement quite a lot, and as far as I could tell, the quality of this product is pretty good. It has become a staple in my nootropic and fat-burning stack. ALCAR shines in the fact that it's such a versatile, cost-effective supplement. I take 1-3 grams of it twice a day and notice several positive effects. I notice an immediate boost in thought clarity and energy, especially in the mornings. It's also good as part of a fat-burning stack or pre-workout. It's recommended to take with alpha lipoic acid; the two are synergistic and work great as anti-oxidants."– Mark S.
"I tried this with Choline Bitartrate, and both products dissolve instantly in water (or tea, to give it a nice sour zing). Great quality, had no headaches when taking Noopept thanks to these. Shipped very quickly in a padded container, individual packets were airtight and tough. Only needed the recommended dose of each for noticeable focus enhancement; I highly recommend all three. Lost a star due to some slight caking, maybe throw in a second packet of silica gel?"– Detharonil
"I use this in combination with alpha lipolic acid, and I work out regularly. I find that it contributes to fat metabolism and adding lean muscle tone. It is one of the first supplements I started to use, it has great cognitive effects also. I will always have some. I dissolve mine in water and drink because I don't care what it tastes like, but I cap it for my wife."-David.
"I take ALCAR as a part of a stack including Aniracetam and Alpha-GPC. I was told that the addition of ALCAR would help maintain the health of my brain in the context of this supplementation. I have not had a single headache, and I believe this addition has amplified the efficacy of my stack. Will buy again. Thanks so much for providing pure, reliable products for such and affordable price!"– Conner B.
Additional ResourcesAcetyl L-Carnitine Wiki
L-Carnitine Examine Page
Why was my review rejected or removed?
If your review does not conform to these guidelines, it may be rejected or removed. All reviews are held in moderation for eight (8) days prior to publishing to ensure these guidelines are met.
We are unable to accept the following reviews:
Reviews that do not pertain to the product
- Shipping and Packaging – Comments about your shipping experience or the product packaging is not a product review and should be addressed at http://help.powdercity.com/.
- Product Availability – Commentary about product availability is not a product review. If you have questions or concerns about product availability, contact us at http://help.powdercity.com/product/restock.html.
Reviews regarding misuse of products
- Dosage recommendations – If you are reporting issues related to taking a product and dosage recommendations were not followed, this does not qualify as a valid review of the product. Please go to http://help.powdercity.com and report it to Powder City support so that they can address the issue directly.
Reviews that contain inappropriate or offensive content
- Inappropriate Content – Reviews may not contain obscenities, profanity, phone numbers, mailing addresses, non-Powder City URLs, foreign language content (unless there is a clear connection to the product), or other people’s material (including excessive quoting).
- Hate Speech and Offensive Content – We don't allow reviews that express intolerance for people based on their race, gender, religion, sexual preference, or nationality. Customers are allowed to comment or post questions about products as long as it is in a non-threatening manner.
- Promotion of Illegal Conduct – Reviews may not encourage or support behavior that is illegal, including violence, illegal drug use (including combining products with legal prescriptions), underage drinking, and child or animal abuse.
- Medical Conditions – Reviews may not indicate supplements can diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Prescription Drugs – Reviews cannot discuss prescription drug use.
*Statements found within have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult with your physician before taking if you are pregnant, nursing, have any cardiovascular or other medical issues, or anticipate surgery. Keep out of the reach of children.
Scientific studies cited are not conclusive and have limitations, due to of their closed environment nature. Referenced studies will not necessarily determine your experience with a supplement or nootropic, since there are many unaccounted variables, which fall outside the scope of the studies.
The reviews contained within are the opinions of contributors and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Powder City. These reviews should not be taken as fact or recommendation, and are only opinions of products that the contributors may have or may have not used. Powder City makes no warranty, implied or expressed, to the accuracy of information provided by these reviews.