Recipes for Boosting Brain Power
Everyone has seen the lists of cognitive enhancing foods, but they're just that -- lists.
You may be wondering at this point, why not just take nootropics (also known as smart drugs) to improve your cognition and be done with it?
You absolutely can. There isn't any reason you couldn't use supplements to acheive the results you are looking for; however, poor nutrition will yield poor results from the products you take.
You must support your body as well as your mind with proper nutrition if you want to see great results from your supplements.
Before getting to the recipes, you should understand why these foods are good for the brain.
5 Foods to Add To Your Nootropic Arsenal
- Coffee. So this isn't a food, but it's a great way to start off the day. Coffee is one of the most popular drinks in the world for multiple reasons. It boosts your energy, improves your mental acuity, and the caffeine found in coffee can also increase endurance, making it a popular addition to sports supplements. [1, 2]
- Berries. Berries, particularly blueberries provide excellent benefits to your brain. Berries are full of antioxidants and can help slow the rate of mental decline in regards to memory and focus. [3, 4]
- Eggs. Eggs yolks are a great source of choline (a precursor to the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, which is responsible for learning). But don't write off the egg whites; they're full of protein which can help to keep you alert. Many individuals experience that drowsy 2:00pm feeling, but many of them turn to surgary energy drinks. One study by the university of cambridge suggests your brain prefers protein to sugar when it comes to staying awake. Protein is also a great way to help build lean muscle. [5, 6]
- Spinach. Spinach contains high concentrations of lutein, and antioxidant that protects against cognitive decline. These effects are even more pronounced in women. [7, 8]
- Walnuts. These are the only nuts that provide a good source of alpha linolenic acid (ALA), which improve blood flow to the brain. ALA is an essential fatty acid (EFA) and has the ability to reduce stress and anxiety. [9, 10]
Recipes That Flex the Mind and Body
Now you've run into the problem that all of these lists present: What do you with this knowledge? It's not as if you can throw all of the above into a bowl and call it a meal.
If you need meals that are quick, easy, and nutritious then look no futher. Below you will find links to breakfast, lunch, and dinner ideas as well as snack options for a complete day*.
|Blueberry Protein Smoothie||172.5||3.75||108||18|
|Chicken and Spinach Quesadillas||355.4||14.675||822.25||26.875|
|Total with Stuffed Peppers||1425||52.275||1875.95||103.47|
|Total with Quesadillas||1567.4||57.125||2234.7||109.595|
*This is based on very specific factors such as exercise, weight, and BMR. Daily caloric need will differ from person to person, so be sure to talk with your doctor about your nutrition. You may find that you need to add or remove from the above to meet your needs.
Pairing Nutrition With Workouts
Abs are made in the kitchen, as the saying goes, but you will have to put in work as well. We've taken improving your fitness to the next level by putting together seven week's worth of workouts which can be found here.
Statements found within have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These dietary supplement products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Always consult a physician if you are unsure about taking a new supplement. Do not take this supplement if you are under 18, if you are pregnant, nursing, or have any cardiovascular issues.
Scientific studies cited are not conclusive and have limitations, due to of their closed environment nature. Referenced studies will not necessarily determine your experience with a supplement, since there are many unaccounted variables, which fall outside the scope of the studies.
The reviews contained within are the opinions of contributors and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Powder City. These reviews should not be taken as fact or recommendation, and are only opinions of products that the contributors may have or may have not used. Powder City makes no warranty, implied or expressed, to the accuracy of information provided by these reviews.